- 250 g fresh or frozen green beans, cut into bite-size lengths
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 kg), peeled and cubed
- 1 3-in (8-cm) cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole-wheat couscous (can substitute Quinoa if desired)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) low-fat feta cheese, crumbled (can use Goat Cheese feta if desired)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped walnuts
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable or chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) raisins
- Toast walnuts in a large, non-stick pot (without oil) over medium heat, 5 minutes (toasting intensifies their flavour).
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat oil in same pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cinnamon stick pieces. Stir for 2 minutes, then add sweet potatoes.
- Pour in broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return to boil, add beans and cook until tender-crisp, 5 minutes.
- Stir in couscous and raisins, cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, empty into a serving bowl, and sprinkle with walnuts, parsley and feta.