- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1½ cups red lentils
- 2 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 15-oz. can chopped tomatoes with liquid
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt (optional, can substitute coconut yogurt)
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir in red lentils and cumin, and cook 1 minute, or until cumin is fragrant and lentils are coated with oil.
- Stir in tomatoes with liquid, honey, bay leaves, and 7 cups water. Season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until lentils are soft and falling apart, and soup is thick. Add a little water to thin soup, if necessary.
- Remove bay leaves, stir in vinegar, and serve with dollops of yogurt.