Try this delicious and nutritious Roasted Tomato & Red Lentil Soup with Avocado Cream.
- 1kg (2lb) ripe tomatoes
- 200g (7oz) sweet cherry tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 4 tbs balsamic vinegar
For Avocado Cream:
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1-2 tbs lemon juice (to taste)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
For Optional Garnish:
- Pumpkin seeds or hemp hearts
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Slice the tomatoes in half, peel and quarter the onion and quarter and deseed the bell pepper.
- Place the tomatoes, onions and bell pepper in a large baking dish along with the cherry tomatoes and whole unpeeled garlic cloves.
- Drizzle over a tablespoon or two of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and season with salt flakes and pepper.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes until tomatoes are soft and juices running.
- Pick out the whole garlic cloves and allow these to cool enough to handle. Transfer everything else from the baking dish, including all the juices into a large soup pot.
- Add the stock, water and red lentils and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes until lentils are nice and tender.
- Make the avocado cream by adding the avocado to a small food processor or blender and pulse until smooth with lemon juice to taste and a little drizzle or two of olive oil. Season with salt flakes and pepper and set aside in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- If you wish, garnish with pumpkin seeds or hemp hearts for an extra boost of protein or crunchy texture.
Enjoy!Click here to schedule your free call with Gina.